Archives consulted for Mapping Destruction
For Further Reading
- Barrett, John G. Sherman’s March through the Carolinas. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 1956.
- Black, Wilfred W. “Marching with Sherman Through Georgia and the Carolinas; Civil War Diary of Jesse L. Dozer, Part I.” The Georgia Historical Quarterly, Vol. 52, No. 3 (1968): 308-336.
- Byrne, William A. ‘“Uncle Billy’ Sherman Comes to Town: The Free Winter of Black Savannah.” The Georgia Historical Quarterly, Vol. 79, No. 1 (1995): 91-116.
- Campbell, Jacqueline Glass. When Sherman Marched North from the Sea: Resistance on the Confederate Home Front. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 2003.
- Carr, Matt. “General Sherman’s March to the Sea,” History Today, Vol. 64, No. 11 (2014): 29-35.
- Frank, Lisa Tendrich. The Civilian War: Confederate Women and Union Soldiers during Sherman’s March. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 2015.
- Glatthaar, Joseph. The March to the Sea and Beyond. New York: New York University Press, 1985.
- McNeill, William J. "A Survey of Confederate Soldier Morale During Sherman's Campaign through Georgia and the Carolinas" Georgia Historical Quarterly 55, no. 1 (Spring 1971): 1-25.
- McPherson, James. Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era. New York: Oxford University Press, 1988.
- Melton, Brian. ‘“The Town that Sherman Wouldn’t Burn”: Sherman’s March and Madison, Georgia in History, Memory, and Legend.” The Georgia Historical Quarterly, Vol. 86, No. 2 (2002): 201-30.
- Parten, Bennett. “Somewhere Toward Freedom: Sherman’s March and Georgia’s Refugee Slaves,” Georgia Historical Quarterly, Vol. 101, No. 2 (2017): 115-146.
- Rhodes, James Ford. “Sherman’s March to the Sea,” The American Historical Review, Vol. 6, No. 3 (1901): 466-474.
- Rubin, Anne Sarah. Through the Heart of Dixie: Sherman’s March and American Memory (Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 2014.
- Sullivan, David M. “Marines of the Fleet Brigade: The Battles of Honey Hill and Deveaux’s Neck, November-December 1864,” Military Collector & Historian, Vol. 71, No. 3 (2019): 253-272.
- Schulten, Susan. A History of America in 100 Maps. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2018.
- Schulten, Susan. “Sherman’s Maps.” The New York Times. November 20, 2014.
- Schwartz, Seymour I. and Ralph E. Ehrenberg. The Mapping of America. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Publishers, 1980.
- Stephenson, Richard W. And Marianne M. McKee, eds. Virginia in Maps: Four Centuries of Settlement, Growth, and Development. Richmond: The Library of Virginia, 2000.
- Whelchel, L. H. Sherman’s March and the Emergence of the Independent Black Church Movement: From Atlanta to the Sea to Emancipation. New York: Palgrave Macmillian, 2014.
Other DH Projects consulted